Very useful tool - fantastic free service
This is a fantastic tool, especially since it's specifically geared toward SharePoint.
Quick to learn
Easy to use
Did I mention free?
Excellent SharePoint IA tool
Overall, remarkably powerful for a free tool
Ability to switch between text-filled boxes or plain
Better showcase examples woudl help. Current models published ont he community are not very fleshed out
Wireframes a breeze in Modeler for SP
IntraNet Factory's Modeler for SharePoint was a breeze to both understand and use. No big learning curve here, after watching a couple of videos and poking around, I was up and running in under 20 minutes. Fortunately my SP needs ran fairly closely to the standard functionality of SP, and so the Modeler for the most part was able to wireframe what I wanted. If your needs run towards a more customized SP, Modeler may not offer what you need.
One drawback was the inability to add a page without it showing as a tab on the top. The work around was to hide it under an another page. I would have also liked to be able to have a workable "Quicklinks" section as well, since this is more of a functionality part, instead of typical content that should have placeholder text.
Overall though, a great tool. My audience was appreciative of the wireframe mockups and didn't get caught up in content, which is exactly the point.
IntranetFactory - SharePoint Modeler/Modeler Conne
IntranetFactory "tools" are a great way to repidly get started on planning and designing (and then creating) the hiearchy of a SharePoint solution. The data architecting, creation of:
- content types, custom columns, and custom web parts, metadata requirements (business and operational need) ......... still need to be planed for and met prior to using the SharePoint Modeler - but that is how it should be!
- graphically map out the hierarchy and user interface of a SharePoint solution without having to "build" the individual sites and pages.
- identify out-of-the-box web parts and 3rd party/custom web parts to be used on each site/page.
- understand how information/files/data will "move"through the SharePoint solution
The Modeler Connector allows me to:
- rapidly build the sites and pages of the SharePoint solution without having to create each myself and gain feedback from the team
- change the solution (using modeler) without having to manually delete sites and rebuild them
Collectively the IntranetFactory "tools" generate:
- Site Map (overview of report)
- Complete Model Documentation (including wireframe diagrams of the sites, pages and web parts)
reports that I then use as the basis to further "detail" the solution and document its features, functionality and training requirements
- an Implementation Guide
There is currently no way to introduce custom site/page templates into the modeler and those provided are basic and do not include header an footer zones.