Many organizations use SharePoint lists to maintain information such as contacts, leads, and user information. With this user information readily available in SharePoint, organizations naturally want to use it for basic communication such as an e-mail message to the user community designated in a specific list or site. Group E-mail Web Part allows project managers or site administrators to send a group email to a SharePoint list, site or Active Directory group.
Configuring the Web Part allows you to select site groups that are allowed to send group e-mails, determine whether you want to send e-mail to users in the SharePoint Portal or Active Directory distribution group. If you select SharePoint Portal, you have the option to send e-mail to a specified list of users or the entire site. If you select Active Directory, you must enter administrative credentials to access Active Directory Services to retrieve the security and distribution groups you specify. You can then select an e-mail template by selecting to use e-mail body text already set up in Content Editor Web Parts already created on the same site. From there, enter an e-mail subject, a from e-mail address, whether you want to use SMTP or a server side default e-mail client, and specify a pop-up message that displays when the user mouses over the e-mail icon in the Group Email Web Part. To use the Web Part, users just click the e-mail icon displayed to start writing the e-mail.
- Send bulk e-mails to all users in a SharePoint site.
- Send bulk e-mails to all users in a list, such as a Contacts list, using the list's e-mail address field.
- Create and send e-mails based on an existing e-mail template.
- Filter the list of e-mail addresses through a standard list view.
- E-mails can be sent through desktop email client or via server side's SMTP.
- Send group emails to Active Directory security and distribution groups.
- Select custom site groups as well as standard groups to restrict which users can send group emails.