Quick Apps for SharePoint by Dell
Quick Apps for SharePoint (formerly Web Parts for SharePoint) enables you to build applications that can be easily supported, maintained and upgraded to ensure their long-term impact and return on investment. Because Quick Apps automates simple or mundane tasks, you can free up SharePoint development resources and satisfy business requirements without costly custom coding.
Benefits for the IT Professional
- Fast customization—Customize SharePoint solutions up to 80 percent faster using point-and-click configuration instead of custom code. This configuration approach enables you to accelerate time-to-delivery, meet SLAs and keep users (and your boss) happy.
- ezEdit configuration – Satisfy the most complex business requirements, from interface enhancements to complete solutions, without the need for custom development experience or training.
- My First App—Use the My First App template, an intuitive, step-by-step wizard enabling you to rapidly configure compelling SharePoint list views and charts in a few simple mouse clicks.
- Short learning curve—Get started quickly building better SharePoint solutions with easy-to-use web parts that include built-in video training and tutorials. You can leverage the collaborative Quick Apps community at www.SharePointforAll.com to discover tips and tricks and best practices from SharePoint peers and Dell experts.
Benefits for the Developer:
- Rapid delivery – Accelerate SharePoint application development cycles using ready-made templates to deliver project management, CRM and help desk applications that are easily supported, maintained and extended
- Code-free apps – Build applications that you can easily support and maintain – up to 80 percent faster and with no custom coding
- Better build – Extend applications beyond native capabilities and exceed user expectations with the use of tabular forms to save screen space, parent-child relationships to ensure reliable data entry, and hide/show-when logic to govern what data users can see
- Simplified upgrades – Deliver sophisticated applications that are easily upgraded when new versions of SharePoint are released
- Easy integration – Bring data together from all of your enterprise application systems, such as SQL Server, SAP, Oracle, Lotus Domino and K2, without the hassle of manually copying the data into SharePoint
Benefits for the IT Manager:
- Cost containment – Rein in budgets by accelerating SharePoint development cycles in order to save time, money and resources on costly enhancements, and maximize your SharePoint investment
- High user satisfaction – Enhance your users’ experience with compelling charts and dashboards, and provide sophisticated forms without costly InfoPath development
- Empowered citizen developers – Empower end users to make their own customizations confidently without posing risk to the environment, freeing expensive development resources to focus on more value-added projects
Benefits for the Site Owner:
- Code-free customization – Make your own customizations so you get exactly what you need from SharePoint, when you need it, without depending on IT to build custom code
- Build-it-your-way – Customize your SharePoint experience to precisely fit your needs – whether that means an enhanced UI, compelling charts and dashboards, rich forms or improved navigation
Last updated: February 25, 2013
Top 50 Reviewer - View all my reviews
Userful collection of Web Parts
Quest offers about 10 web parts that can be completely configured to leverage global features and reduce time development using the user interface. Quest Web Parts can fit most of your business needs.
Developers can easily configure a lot of things (for a complete overview, please refer to Quest web site: http://www.quest.com/web-parts-for-sharepoint/features-benefits.aspx). End users are allowed to do the same (depending on users’ permissions) but this can be complex for them to implement all features.
Some interesting features are provided by these Web Parts. For example, there is a web part to export filtered data to Excel (users don’t have to use Excel 2007 in opposition to O.O.B export feature) or another one to display information using graphs.
These basic features are really useful.
One of the most important features is the ability to extend functionality of Quest forms by adding buttons with custom code.
Furthermore, it is up to the developers to code some new layouts (CSS, data display structure and anything related to display) or adding some features in the form.
All the forms can be displayed in different languages depending on the culture of the user using a really simple technique based on a resources list. In the latest version, lookup values can be displayed using the current culture. This is really interesting for displaying some document status or choices in different languages. With these components, SharePoint is really a collaborative platform whatever people language is.
Average user rating from: 1 user(s)
Generally a very good investment. We have found many new uses for the webparts, apart from the project they were originally purchased for
Easy to configure & use (once you've learnt how)
Extremely professional and helpful support
Comprehensive documentation & tutorials
There are a few bugs
Documentation is not always well-written and can be confusing